India’s total number of COVID-19 infections reached 3.31M . The death toll has risen to 60,472 and 2.52M have recovered so far the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said. India recorded single day highest jump ever with registering over 75,000 Covid-19 cases.
Worldwide coronavirus cases crossed 24M, according to the Johns Hopkins University. The death toll crossed 822K. More than 15.6M people have recovered so far.
• The Supreme Court declined permission for carrying out Muharram procession across the country and asked Lucknow-based petitioner to move before the Allahabad High Court with his plea. A bench comprising Chief Justice S A Bobde and Justices A S Bopanna and V Ramasubramanian said it would lead to chaos and targeting of a particular community. “You are asking for a general order and then if we allow this there will be chaos. Particular community will be targeted for spreading Covid. We don’t want that. We as a court cannot risk the health of all the people”, reported PTI.
• Former President Pranab Mukherjee , age 84 continues to be in a deep coma and on ventilator support, the hospital where he is admitted said on Thursday.
• Coronavirus infection has spread in Andaman and Nicobar it is reported that ten members of the Greater Andamanese tribe have tested positive over the past month, a health official told the BBC.
• The West Bengal government told the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation in a letter to ensure that no flight landings or take-offs from any airport in the state will be permitted on September 7, 11 and 12, as the state will observe a complete lockdown on these days.
• While massive protest is ongoing in Hong Kong against China, Chinese government has offered to test all Hong Kong residents for Coronavirus.
• Rajasthan recorded 633 new coronavirus cases and six deaths on Thursday. The state’s tally has to 75,303 and the toll to 988, PTI reports.
• Mizoram local bodies polls held amid Covid-19 pandemic.